Erin Weed's Blog

Monday, October 29, 2007

Shannon McNamara 5k walk/run

Every year since Shannon's murder, her friends from Rolling Meadows, IL have organized a race to raise money for a scholarship in Shannon's name. It's always such a heart warming event to have so many people gathered together who loved this girl. Being that I felt the need to party in my green leisure suit until 4am, I was clearly struggling a bit as I somehow managed to walk the route. I'm sure Shannon was looking down at me and laughing. I bounced back, with the help of that crisp autumn air. After the race I headed over to the McNamara family gathering that also happens every year. We just sit around the for whole afternoon, talk, eat, drink and remember Shannon. It's really therapeutic for everyone. And I was glad to have the day off just to be with her family without having to rush off to catch another flight. We raised some serious cash this year, so it will be great to send yet another student off to college with a scholarship in Shannon's name.


Above is just a fraction of the long line of walkers and runners.


Each year the race has sponsors...see them above.


Here's me with a few of Shannon's family members. From L-R: Sharon (Cindy's best friend and amazing party hostess), Cindy (Shannon's Mom), Me, Mary Ruth (Shannon's Aunt) and Brit (our favorite gal pal and Sharon's daughter).


As you can see above, me and Mary Kay (Shannon's Aunt) discovered the trampoline. We damn near peed our pants. Good times.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home