Erin Weed's Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2007

I'm a Swinger

"Weed, where the hell have you been?" I know, this is the question my loyal blog readers have been asking themselves, day in and day out...right? I think it has been the longest time between posts probably in the history of my blog so I thought I would bring you up to speed on the gagillion things I have been doing lately.

1. As you can see from the picture above, I've been doing lots of swingin'. Not the modern "I'll trade your husband for mine" sort, but the real deal. As luck would have it, our new house is near a park. I wait for the children to leave and the swingset is mine, all mine! Mu, ha, ha, ha! But seriously, this was taken during a photo shoot for the next thing I'm cooking up...

2. Re-designing www.erinweed.com. This site will cover all my writing, books, speaking engagements and videos of my programs. Someday, I even plan to sell some of my art. (You know the stick figure that's the GFB logo? Let's just say that I drew her...and she's got LOTS of friends.)

3. But you may be wondering, "Why do you need erinweed.com when you already have the GFB website?" Well my friends, the day has come where GFB has become much bigger than me. This is a wonderful, awesome amazing thing! This is going to be a huge growth year, and I will continue leading the organization as we take the country by storm. But how do we make it bigger you ask???

4. By filing for 501c3 non profit status! That's right...as of this Fall, GFB will be a full-fledged non-profit organization. This is very exciting, because it will allow us to do some major fundraising so we can afford to REALLY start kicking ass. I will be sticking around as Founder & Exec. Director and we will be bringing some other people to come on board very soon. But you may be pondering, "Well, what is this new and improved, non-profit version of GFB going to do?" The quick answer is that we're going to continue empowering safety and self-defense education to young women aged 12-22. We'll do this in two major ways....

5. For starters, launching a brand spankin' new www.girlsfightback.org! This website will be in Flash, and will be jam packed with personal safety info, self-defense videos, quizzes, games, articles, you name it! We have been talking with some of the best interactive web design firms in Denver to make this a reality. And the proceeds from last years "Fight Back for ShannonMac" Fundraiser in Chicago will be funding the new website. Our expected launch date is August 2007, right before I embark on my GFB '07 Fall Tour. In addition to the site, I will also be training GFB instructors to give the program in their local high schools. The deadline recently passed, and I am happy to say we got some incredible candidates. Our advisory board has their work cut out for them in making their decisions.

In the midst of all this, I've been trying to train for the upcoming triathlon...but I've pretty much accepted I'm gonna be the gym class loser and come in last place. At least I'll have fun doing it. So there you have it...I'll try to keep blogging as things get even crazier. As always, none of these incredible things would have been possible without your support. THANK YOU.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home