Erin Weed's Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

UIC - Chicago, IL

Yesterday was quite eventful. It started off with me flying from Denver to Chicago, and I saw someone familiar as I stood in line to board the plane. This woman looked exactly like my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Harmon. It was over 20 years since I had seen her, so clearly I was doubting my memory. As it turns out, she was seated directly in front of me on the airplane so I couldn't help but to ask. So I tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me, but are you Nancy Harmon?" She looked me dead in the eyes and said, "ERIN WEED!" Holy cow, how did she remember me? That was weird...she recalled me being a straight A student which I assured her was discontinued past age 10. She refused to believe me. But it was so great to see her, and it turns out she'd been clipping articles about me and GFB over the years. Funny stuff. Obviously I had to take a photo with her (see above) once we landed in Chicago and she obliged, after asking what a blog was. Mrs. Harmon was my favorite teacher of my entire education, so if you're reading this, thanks for everything!

I drove right from O'Hare to speak at University of Illinois at Chicago to speak at their first-ever sexual assault awareness week. What an honor! I did the How to Be A Bad Victim program, and we had a very good time talking about practical strategies to avoid being victimized...and how to respond if you are confronted with violence. Overall, a very proactive and invigorating talk. Here's wishing the students at UIC a very successful rest of their awareness week.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home