Erin Weed's Blog

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Shannon's Dedication - Charleston, IL

Yesterday I drove two hours east to Charleston, Illinois to get to the campus of Eastern Illinois University. For several years, the physical education dept. at EIU has been raising money for a plaque of Shannon, and also the scholarship in her name. (See above) This year a scholarship was given to a very deserving recipient, and we had a lovely ceremony. I was asked to speak, and of course started to lose it a little bit. It was just really overwhelming for me to be in the same gym where Shannon worked and where we played Intramurals in college...and there I was dedicating a memorial in her honor. My emotions always sneak up on me, just when I think I'm fine. You'd think by this point I'd plan ahead and bring kleenex, but no....

Above is a pic of myself with Shannon's parents (Bob & Cindy), Phys. Ed. Dept. Chairwoman Phoebe Church, Shannon's scholarship recipient (Amanda Maxedon) and EIU president Lou Hencken. It was an emotional, but touching and powerful event and I was glad I could be there for it.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home