Erin Weed's Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Univ. of California - Riverside, CA

This has been a great day. Above is a pic of myself with my greatest mentor of all time, Bob Martin. Bob was with the LAPD for 28 years, and is one of the most respected individuals in the violence prevention and threat assessment community. He also wrote the introduction to my book, and is a close friend. When I met Bob back in 2001, I was working as a temp in New York. I really had nothing but dreams for GFB. But Bob saw things I couldn't see at the time and he got behind me 100%. He has taught me so much, connected me with incredible people, and I am so grateful for him. Since we live on opposite coasts, I don't get to see him often. But today I did get to hang with Bob, so what did we do? We hung out at a bowling alley. (His granddaughter was having a birthday party. I just wish I had time to throw down a few pins!)

But alas, I had some work to do so we said our goodbyes. Driving to Riverside had such gorgeous views. I always hear jokes about people in Cali being self-absorbed, but I had quite the warm-fuzzy experience today. I was on the tollway, enjoying the view and the radio. I pulled into a tollbooth, and I was informed by the toll collector that the person in front of me had paid my toll! Now this is a heftier toll than you're thinking...it's was $2.50. I wasn't sure what to do, so I told the toll dude that I'd pay it forward by paying for the toll for the guy behind me. The toll dude said to me, "Are you sure?" Like that's such a crazy thing. I wonder if the guy behind me kept the love going...

Onto my program at UC Riverside. I'd love to send out a big holla to my friend, Doug Everheart, who brought me to campus. The students were awesome, and especially the guys were really into it. Quite the energetic bunch, and I had a great time with them. Upon returning to my car in the parking lot, I saw I left my headlights on. Just super. Thankfully I had enough juice to get home. (Lately home=hotel) I've loved being in California and not having to wear a jacket, but it's onto Chicago tomorrow...

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home