Erin Weed's Blog

Monday, March 12, 2007

Pittsburg State - Pittsburg, KS

So I know what you're thinking...Pittsburgh is in Pennsylvania, right? Not when it's missing the silent "h" it's not. Today I flew from New Jersey to Kansas City, and drove 2.5 hours south to this lovely little town. This evening I gave the Stayin' Alive on Spring Break program to about 100 students who were clearly psyched for their upcoming vacation. And the weather was so gorgeous today, it felt like SB had already arrived. The program went great, although I experienced something that happens from time to time. I was beginning the program by telling the students Shannon's story, and why this motivated me to speak to college students for a living about their safety. Normally I'm able to keep it together, and get through this difficult part of my program. But since the fundraiser was just this past weekend, I was just filled with emotion tonight. Towards the end of the story, a fond memory of Shannon just kinda popped into my head and threw off my whole story. I thought I was going to cry, but quickly was able to get my act together and back on track. The program after that went as fun and wild as normal. Afterwards I was telling Ed, the awesome organizer of this event, that it happens very rarely and I was sorry to lose it a bit up there. But he said, "I don't know how you talk about that everytime you give a program." Sometimes, neither do I. But I decided a long time ago that the day I stop feeling WHY I do this and stop remembering on an emotional level how much Shannon impacted my life is the day I should hang up the saddle. So thanks to everyone at Pitt for coming out, and have a fab spring break! Pictured above is myself in the crowd with Scary Bad Guy Larry, teaching 'em how to open up a can o' whoop-ass.

Right after the program, I quickly ran into Wal Mart to pick up a new tube of toothpaste. As I walked in the front entrance, I saw they had a St. Patty's Day display filled with all sorts of fun Irish stuff. Now my ethnic background is somewhat mutt-like, as I'm told that I'm from a different ethnicity everytime the family gets togteher. But once I heard I had Irish blood in my veins, and I decided to claim it as my heritage. And hey, my name is Erin so that's Irish enough for me. Anywho, because I'm a self-proclaimed Irish person I obviously LOVE St. Patrick's Day, and this year we're having a party. I've been on the prowl for something fun and green to wear, but to no avail. That is, until I came to this Wal Mart. The item was in the center of the display, surrounded by a heavenly glow as angels sang in the distance. I had found my get-up for March 17th...and it was a green mullet. Be sure to check back for pics post-St. Patty's Day.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home