Erin Weed's Blog

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Arkansas Tech - Russellville, AR

Last night I spoke to a full house of Greek students in Arkansas for part of their Safe Spring Break week. This crowd was like a big ball o' energy, and so fun. We had some minor issues in the beginning, when ironically all my tech needs (the PowerPoint) refused to work. I found this funny, since I was speaking at a technical college. But the show must go on! So we aborted the mission to make the damn projector work and I hit the stage. About halfway through the program I was talking about tips to get to a spring break destination safely, and was discussing how to avoid bad situations while driving. I offered this tip: whoever rides shotgun in the car has the job to stay awake and talk to the driver to keep them awake. After I say this, some guy completely busts out in this guffaw laugh, like it's the funniest thing he's ever heard. Now there's a lot of funny stuff in my programs, but I didn't think this was one of them. I figured I was merely being heckled, and just moved on. (Of course, filing away his mug for later to take out my revenge.) So when it came time to do some self-defense stuff, I asked the crowd for a volunteer to be my scary bad guy. (SBG) The crowd offered up this same guy who heckled me, and I kicked his ass onstage. It was awesome. Afterwards, the peer educators did a mock "Deal or No Deal" whereupon each contestant called had to pick a box. Within it were gift cards for some serious cash. This whole event was fun and random, and a good time was had by all.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home