Erin Weed's Blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Indiana University - Bloomington, IN

Well yesterday was fun because I experienced 3 things that have never happened before. First, I ran into a fellow CAMPUSPEAK speaker at the Pittsburgh airport named David Stollman. (He's an awesome speaker on Greek issues...bring him to your campus!) Literally, I almost ran directly into him. It was crazy weird. Then, as you can read from my post yesterday, my luggage got lost by US Air and I was completely stranded with no clothes. (Update: red luggage was returned to my hotel room last night at 12 midnight, just as I was about to go to sleep in the same clothes I wore since 7am that morning. Nice!) Just in case you were considering doing your holiday shopping in Bloomington, Indiana, I would strongly urge you to reconsider. There's not a mall. Hence the third thing I've never done. I presented to a ballroom jam packed with about 800 women and gave a program in my scrubby jeans and Ugg boots. I don't normally get decked out or anything, but this was by far my scrappiest look I've ever had. Thankfully my contact at IU, Becca, was awesome and didn't seem to care in the slightest. The program went great, and my scary bad guy was Mike, a dude from New Jersey. (And he had some serious NJ pride...rock on with your Jersey self!) The Alpha Phi chapter was out in full effect, as you can see from the photo above. Afterwards Mike and the Panhellenic Council took me out for a great dinner on the square. Thanks to everyone for your hospitality and I hope to be back soon!
Another crazy thing happened yesterday. This girl above, Alex, was one of the success stories I wrote about several years ago when I was the self-defense columnist for CosmoGirl! I had spoken at her teen Jewish Youth Group up in the Catskill Mountains, and she later used some of the moves to escape two men who approached her and her friend. How crazy is that? A lot of worlds have been colliding lately....it's so cool.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home