Erin Weed's Blog

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Tulane University - New Orleans, LA

Today I flew from New Jersey to New Orleans. This was a trip I've been looking forward to for quite some time, since I have not been to this wonderful city since the hurricane hit. When we were in Chicago a few weeks ago for a wedding, we met the cutest people from New Orleans in the hotel elevator. The gentleman was wearing an all white suit and hat and a cool cane, and put P-Diddy to shame. The old woman was wearing a fancy dress. It was 100% southern style! The little old lady in her cute accent kept saying, "Come to N'Orleans!" So it was good to do just that. The last time I was here was back in college for an Alternative Spring Break trip to work at the Covenant House. This is an organization that's essentially a halfway house for troubled teens. It serves as both a shelter and also provides life training to give the kids skills to lead a productive life. It was truly an awesome experience.

So it was good to be back, and at the last minute I cancelled my reservation at my hotel near the airport to instead stay at a hotel in the French Quarter. Really what the city needs is for people to come, visit and spend some money! So I did, and it was awesome.

The Tulane program was fantastico. Many of the students I met had some pretty intense fears in regards to their safety, since the crime rate in New Orleans shot up since the destruction of Hurricane Katrina. Anytime there is great economic hardship, the crime stats always reflect that reality and this is no exception. So I taught them some awesome techniques, and focused a lot on taking little proactive strategies like locking doors. (There have been so many robberies lately.) Check out the pic of us above, showing off our fave self-defense moves! Can't wait to come back and visit my new Louisiana friends...

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home