Erin Weed's Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Wild Week

This has been one crazy week. It started off in my hometown of Hoboken, NJ where I was invited to speak at the Hudson County Rotary Club. I wasn't sure what to expect, as I'd never really known what Rotary was all about. And in this town, we have a pretty strong reputation for mobsters controlling everything, so I was rather anticipating walking into a situation that resembled the set of "The Sopranos." It couldn't be further from the truth. There were a bunch of women, young women, no less! And everyone was very cool and supportive. I hadn't planned on actually fighting anyone during this talk, since they had asked me to speak about the business end of Girls Fight Back. But someone asked a question about vulnerable targets on an attacker, and I simply couldn't resist. I pulled some poor guy out of the crowd and had the audience yell out what targets on his body would cause pain or disability if struck. Before long, the usual chaos that my GFB program seems to spark became apparent.

From there, my travels took me via train to lovely Virginia. I love trains! Especially the little dining car where you can buy food like hot dogs and pizza. Awesome. Got to Charlottesville where my friends and fellow speakers, Shawn and Gwenn, picked me up. Spoke to a fantastic crowd at Bridgewater College that night, and was back on a train first thing the next morning.

The next day, I was on an airplane headed to southern Illinois. Gave a GFB program at the beautiful Knox College in Galesburg, IL where I met some real genuine fight girls. Many of them had already gone through the R.A.D. program at Knox, so they were all riled up to fight. Thanks for the invite to campus!

And that brings me to today, where I shall rest. (i.e., laundry, grocery shopping, giving the dog a bath...)

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home