Erin Weed's Blog

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Motivational Speaker?

When referring to those who speak publicly for a living, people often call us as "motivational speakers." In my speakers bureau, CAMPUSPEAK, this is not considered a compliment. We immediately think of the Chris Farley skit on Saturday Night Live, jumping and sweating around the family living room telling the teens they need to get their life together before ending up living in a van down by the river.

So I've always just thought of myself as a fight girl, who just so happened to address large crowds for a living. (and thus classifying me as a professional speaker by default) In most speeches I give, there's usually some element of ass kicking going on. That all changed yesterday while speaking at the Mid-American Greek Council Association. This is the largest conference in the country that brings together fraternity men and sorority women to learn and grow and make their Greek systems better.

I gave a program called Panhellenic Power, which was for the sorority women about how to make a difference in the lives of others and how to turn a tragedy into an opportunity to create needed change. Dare I say that it was a...motivational speech??!! I didn't fight anyone until the last 5 minutes of the program, and only did that because someone in the crowd asked for it.

Maybe it's time for me to buy that van down by the river after all....

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home