Erin Weed's Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

R.A.D.

Last week I was in Fort Wayne, Indiana for an intensive, 30 hour, R.A.D. Instructor Training. R.A.D. stands for Rape Aggression Defense, and it's one of the nation's leading women's self-defense programs. Their organization consists of over 4,000 instructors across the country who are trained to teach a 12 hour curriculum. The reason I wanted to be certified as a R.A.D. instructor (which I am now, by the way...but the testing wasn't easy!) is because it's the most popular class available to college women. When I visit campuses with the GFB program, I always tell the audience that GFB is only the beginning of what they need to know about protecting themselves. To be able to pass them on to a local self-defense program is truly the most perfect partnership. I get women motivated and empowered, and then the R.A.D. instructors teach them how to open up a full contact can o' whoop-ass.

Obviously, the 30 hours of training were intense. It all built up to what's called "simulations." This is when you put on some protective gear, and bad guys in padded suits attack you full force under the premise of real life situations. These simulations are the opportunities to demonstrate what you know, while under adrenal stress. And let me tell you, no matter how much training you have that fear always creeps up in those situations. The key is learning to embrace and use your fear to fight and escape. (as opposed to being paralyzed by it.)

A big thanks to Lori and the guys for being such awesome instructors. And hello to all my new friends I met. Hope to see you all again soon...

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home